Combat Air Museum banner
TOPEKA REGIONAL AIRPORT @ FORBES FIELD, TOPEKA, KANSAS
Combat Air Museum "Wing"
North American Harvard Mk IV

Canadian Car & Foundry (North American) Harvard Mk IV (FAA Reg. Number N294CH)

Return button

The Harvard series of trainers were British Commonwealth Air Forces versions of the North American Aviation AT-6 Texan trainer used during and after World War II. North American delivered its first Harvards in October 1938 to the Royal Air Force (RAF) and Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF). The US-built Harvards included the Harvard I, based on the North American BC-1, immediate predecessor to the AT-6; the Harvard II (AT-6); Harvard IIA (AT-6C); and Harvard III (AT-6D). In all, North American built 2,989 Harvards.

Because North American was also heavily involved building its B-25 Mitchell medium bombers and P-51 Mustang fighters, a license to build Harvards was let to Noorduyn Aviation Limited in Canada. Noorduyn built 757 Harvard IIBs for the RCAF and an additional 1,800 of the Harvard IIB/AT-6A type designated AT-16 for lend-lease.

After World War II Canadian Car & Foundry (CCF) in Fort William (now Thunder Bay), Ontario, built the Harvard Mk. IV, introduced into RCAF service in 1951. The Mk. IV was similar to the US Air Force remanufactured T-6G Texan. Of the 555 Harvard Mk. IVs built by CCF the US Air Force purchased 285 as T-6Js, built to T-6G standards, for the MDAP (Mutual Defense Assistance Program.) US Air Force personnel tested the aircraft at the CCF plant before acceptance.

Originally manufactured in 1947, the Museum’s Harvard served 12 years in the RCAF from 1952 before the type was withdrawn from service in 1965. For the next 22 years, the aircraft was owned/alternately registered to two Canadian citizens. The Harvard was placed on exhibit at Combat Air Museum in 1981 and purchased by the Museum in 1987 with the FAA registry number N294CH.

Combat Air Museum owns this aircraft.

History:
May 9, 1952 Brought On Charge Royal Canadian Air Force
Sept 11, 1964 Struck Off Charge Royal Canadian Air Force
May 1965-May 1987 Co-owned by Mr. John Bootsma, and Mr. Maurice McCullagh of Drayton Valley, Alberta, Canada as CF-RUQ
July 1981 Placed on exhibit, Combat Air Museum
May 1987 Purchased by Combat Air Museum          
August 1987 Certificate of Registration to Combat Air Museum as N294CH
   
TECHNICAL NOTES:
Manufacturer: Canadian Car & Foundry
Basic Role: Tandem, two-seat trainer
Crew: Student pilot, Instructor pilot
Engines: One 600 hp (447kW) Pratt & Whitney Wasp R-1340 nine-cylinder, air cooled radial engine
Maximum speed: 205 mph (330 kph)
Cruising Speed: 180 mph (290km/hr)
Max. Range: 750 miles (1,207km) 
Service Ceiling: 21,500 ft (6,553m)
Wingspan: 42 ft ¼ in (12.8m)
Length: 28 ft 11 in (8.8m)
Height: 11 ft 8.5 in (3.57m)
Wing area: 253.8 sq ft (23.58 sq m)
Weight (empty): 4,075 lbs (1,848kg) 
Weight (gross): Max permissible: 5,750 lbs (2,608kg) Max permissible Aerobatic: 5,490 lbs (2,490)
Armament: None
Serial number: RCAF 20294 CCF-4-85 (FAA Reg. Number N294CH)
Harvard aircraft - front view
Side view of Harvard
Return button
Copyright © 2008-2013 Combat Air Museum