Combat Air Museum banner
TOPEKA REGIONAL AIRPORT @ FORBES FIELD, TOPEKA, KANSAS
Combat Air Museum "Wing"
Nieuport 27 Flying Replica
Nieuport 27 WWI French Biplane Fighter
Return button

Per Wikipedia, the Nieuport 27 was a French biplane fighter aircraft during World War I designed by Gustave Delage. The model 27 was the last of the line of Nieuport "V-strut" single seat fighters stemming from the Bébé of early 1916. The type served in small numbers with the French Aéronautique Militaire and also with the British Royal Flying Corps/Royal Air Force during 1917 and early 1918, supplementing or replacing the Nieuport 24bis. However, by Spring 1918 most Nieuport "V strut" fighters had been withdrawn from front line service and replaced - with SPAD S.XIIIs in French service, and with S.E.5as in the RFC/RAF.

The type was supplied to Italy, and built there by the Nieuport-Macchi Company at Varese, although the Italians ultimately preferred the Hanriot HD.1. Some 120 Nieuport 27 aircraft were bought for the United States Army Air Service for use as trainers in 1918. French ace Charles Nungesser was the most famous pilot to use the 27.

The Nieuport 27's design closely followed the early form of the 24, including its semi-rounded rear fuselage and rounded wingtips and ailerons. The structural problems with the redesigned, rounded tail surfaces of the 24, which had resulted in the use of a Nieuport 17 type tail in the 24bis., were by now overcome, so that the new version was able to standardize on the new tail. By now most Nieuport fighters were actually used as advanced trainers, and the 130hp Le Rhône Rotary engine of the 24bis. was often replaced by a 120hp or 110hp version.

The handful of operational Nieuport 27s were armed either with a synchronized, fuselage-mounted Vickers machine gun (in French service) or a Lewis Gun mounted on a Foster mounting on the top wing (in British service). Two guns were occasionally fitted, but this had a severe effect on performance, which was at best little better than that of earlier models. In 1919 Poland bought one Nieuport 27

This Nieuport 27 was built as a 7/8th flying replica of the original by Mr. Lanny Turner of Wellsville, Kansas. Mr. Turner flew the replica for some 12 years prior to donating the plane to the Combat Air Museum.

TECHNICAL NOTES: Original Design
Manufacturer: Societe Anonyme des Etablissements, France
Basic Role: WWI Fighter
Crew: One
Engine: Le Rhône 9Jb, 9 cylinder, air cooled rotary, 120 hp
Maximum speed: 116 mph [187 km/h]
Max. Range:
Service Ceiling: 18,210 ft [5,550 m]
Range:
Wingspan: 26 ft 11 in [8.18 m]
Length: 19ft 3½ in. (5.88 m)
Height: 8 ft [2.43 m]
Weight (empty):
Weight (gross): 1,289 lb [585 kg]
Armament: (French/Italian service) 1 x synchronized Vickers machine gun (British service) 1 x Lewis gun on Foster mounting on upper wing
Serial number: N127LT
 
Nieuport 27 in flight
Cockpit of Nieuport 27 replica
Fuselage decoration of Nieuport 27
Nieuport 27 in flight
Return button
Copyright © 2008-2013 Combat Air Museum